Thursday, March 19, 2015

30:30:30: 2000 - 2005: Boondock Saints, Vanilla Sky, Signs, Finding Nemo, Garden State, & Walk the Line

Ooooh these years were tough too. You know some of the movies I didn't pick are my absolute favorites. These are some movies I love too but looking at all the movies I saw in these years explains so much about me! I feel like I should do a post about all the movies I didn't watch...but I'm not crazy so I wont.

PS Adult language follows...the next two movies are Rated R.

2000: The Boondock Saints


Movie Facts:
Directed by Troy Duffy
Rated R
Genre Drama, Action/Adventure...weird.
Tagline: Thy kingdom come, they will be done.
Norman Reedus- ha ha remember when you were on Charmed? I do.
Sean Patrick Flannery- hi you're pretty
Willem Fuckin' Dafoe- I love you.

Thoughts:
The headphones and classical music again! (Like in Leon)
They look so young...I usually watch 1 and 2 back to back on St. Pat's so the last one I saw was 2...some of them didn't age as well...but they're still extremely hot in this one
Norman Reedus looks like a little kid when Sean Patrick Flannery is cuffed to the toilet...sad.
It was actually between this and Snatch...I guess both are kinda in the same genre
I love Willem Dafoe in this movie...well I guess and every movie. He's so sassy and fabulous.
Hey it's Ron Jeremy! I always forget he's in this movie-- in velvet.
There is some excellent cussing in this movie too.
You know what we need man- some rope!
Oh god remember when men wore those bright light blue jeans? Eeek please don't come back in fashion. Light wash jeans are never okay.
You see this in bad television- professionals don't do that. Yah logic works here Dafoe.
We're like 7/11 we're not always doing business but we're always open
They shoot a cat...it's sad. I need to cuddle my kitties... is it dead?
Il Duce even has the same rules as LEON! No women, no children!!!!! How have I never made this connection before!
There was a firefight! lol, he gets so into it. Why are his clothes so disheveled? Poor Dafoe he's so upset.
Remind me not to get shot and have to us an iron to cauterize the wounds.
Willem Dafoe in drag.

Movie Memory:
No idea when I saw this movie for the first time... but I remember watching it in college with my college boyfriend/fiance Ben. I even bought him a Boondocks Saints t-shirt that I never let him wear cause I always did. But we watched that movie probably an unnecessary amount of times.  I watch it every year for St. Patrick's day just a little early this year. But that's okay. I always enjoy Willem Dafoe's character and the brother's fake accents.

Tyler's Rating: A. Just a solid A.


2001: Vanilla Sky

Movie Facts:
Direct by Cameron Crowe
Rated R
Tagline: Abre los ojos.
Genre:Drama, Mystery/Suspense
Tom Cruise - I will always love you.
Penelope Cruz - Why are you so beautiful?
Jason Lee - Poor Jason Lee.
Cameron Diaz - You play crazy so well. Love it.

Favorite Line:
I think she's the saddest girl to ever hold a martini.

or

Can I tell you the truth? - Jason lee
Everybody does. - Tom Cruise

Movie Thoughts- rambling lucid dream style: 
God I love this movie. Tom Cruise, Radiohead, and Sigur Ros. Also everyone is in this movie, there are so many characters you've seen before and they're everywhere! There really are no unfamiliar faces which makes the whole dreamlike thing even more real. I saw this movie right when it came out, not in the theaters but when it was home released. I watched it a million times in High School and College but it's been a few years now and it's still so good. I have always felt like a knew pretty well what was real and what was unreal, but that doesn't really matter because what's real to David/Tom is what matters, what he feels and experiences is where it's at.  I love what it says about reading and technology and relationships and the future back 14 years ago. Also good music, that's a Cameron Crowe thing. Oh pleasure delayer! Oh god I remember that, I didn't agree with it at 16 and I still don't agree with it at 29. Do not deny yourself. Oh god Tom does the same hair grab in every film. What always gets me is that this is the one night they have together in her reality...but it's his reality that counts! LE. Wait we're supposed to believe he's 33? That's just a few years older than I'm supposed to be...I eternally see Tom Cruise as like 40 years old. Get out of the car! She's going crazy...it's what chicks do- especially around you Tom. Oh I remember that line "when you sleep with someone your body makes a promise whether you do or not".  Oh the mask. Benny the fucking dog. Uuhhg and then it gets so sad! Dammit Penelope! And we lose our second reality...uhg it's like Inception we're 3 levels deep now! Or are we...or is this where he ended it...I swear Penelope Cruz doesn't look like she has an ounce of makeup on and she looks perfect! Okay overnight intermission, it's getting the totally nightmare part don't need that before bed....zzzzzz.... Okay restarting on Tuesday- St. Patrick's Day. Uuuuhggg it's so uncomfortable when his reality turns into a nightmare. Is he crazy, is Cameron Diaz crazy? Where is Penelope?!?  Uuuhg.  So here's one of the things it took me a while to get- it doesn't matter that the people in his alternate nightmare make no sense- so that's why it doesn't matter that alternate sophia/cameron/combo takes him back briefly before he kills her because none of it makes sense. She's acting like she wasn't beat up by him because she's a different creature, everytime we see Cameron/Sophia in the nightmare she's a different version of Cameron/Sophia- make sense? No? Good. It's such a nightmare! I really like Kurt Russell in this movie too he's a kinda good shrink. Even though he isn't a fully realized character (cause he isn't real) he's still good and makes good connections.  LE time! Tilda Swinton!!! The redhead that's in everything! (ahem of course that means Ally McBeal) Oh lucid dreams- this was such a buzz word in the early 2000s. Beach Boys! Tech Support! Ha ha reminds me of Medic in Starship Troopers! Uuuhg so sad! I hate seeing him kill himself that whole montage is sad. I hate the ending! I like that he chooses to go back but god the elevator scene kills me! Bad choice.  Seriously these movies are why I'm so screwed up! Oooh ends with Sigur Ros!

Tyler's Rating: A+ love. Love. love.


2002: Signs


Movie Facts:
Directed by M. Night Shyamalan
Rated PG-13
Genre: Scary Movie! Thriller/Drama
Tagline: It's happening.
Mel Gibson - no opinion really
Joaquin Phoenix - no opinion really- loved him in The Master

Movie Thoughts & Memory:
PS not looking forward to watching this...I don't like scary movies. But I saw A LOT of scary movies in 2002 that I never watched again....so I haven't seen this one since the summer before my senior year of High School.

Oooh the opening credits are very retro- I like it!
Oh yah the dogs....uuuhg so sad
There's a monster outside my room can I have a glass of water?
Oh yah and he was a priest.
"Ahhh I'm insane with anger" lol
One of the 900 Culkin kids!
21 minutes and 5 seconds- time it took me to get a little scared.
Interesting right after the radio scene where the reporter says "they're signs intended to be seen from the sign" there's a bunch of arial shots where you see what natural signs are already there...interesting
I love when Joaquin becomes a tin foil guy! Damn baby monitor.
God I could never live on a farm, everything bad starts on farms.
Cannot watch the corn field scenes...too scary. NOPE NOPE NOPE!
Baby Culkin is a really good big brother.
Uuuuhg vamanos children! And not the pantry scene...time to go hang with friends...I'll finish this in the daylight....
Uuuhg I hate this why am I watching this- the aliens are in the house.
making noise to disract them
I totally forgot that the aliens leave over night....but not the one Mel cut off the finger from....uuuuhhhhggg! I hate this movie!
And the aliens were defeated by water...picked the wrong planet.
And he gets his faith back.

This feels like another movie I saw with my dad and sister. Gosh we saw lots of movies together. Why did they keep taking me to scary movies when they knew I was a wimp? Mean mean family.

Tyler's Rating: I can't rank this thing. It's a good movie just not one that I'd chose to watch again and again. I'm good for another 30 years.

2003: Finding Nemo

Movie Facts:
Directed by Pixar people
Rated G
Genre: Adventure/Comedy also it's a cartoon...
Al Brooks as the scaredy cat dad
Ellen Degeneres as forgetful and annoying, but helpful
The little boy from weeds as annoying

Movie Memory:
This is the first cartoon for the project- I think I'm only watching one more, but there are definitely a few on my list that I'm picking from. I saw this movie with my high school best friend and a few friends from work (IHOP).  We went during the summer one day when none of us were working. It was super fun, I remember we all really enjoyed it and we all cried together too. It's an adorable movie. I don't watch it as often as I used to, I feel like I watched it a lot in college and shortly after in the summers, but probably haven't seen it in a few years. My nephew hasn't discovered it yet.  This is one of those movies that I think entertains kids but means so much for adults. When you think about it it was perfectly timed for me going off to college, leaving my anemone and surviving on my own. Like most cartoons there are so many things that kids wont really get for a while but when you realize them and see them later you realize those cartoonist (but this is computer animated- are they still called cartoonists?) must have been having a lot of fun.  The AA fish meeting.  It's just a lot of fun.  And sad, but mostly fun.

Tyler's Rating: Awwwww A.


2004: Garden State

Movie Facts:
Directed by Zach Braff
Rated R
Genre: Drama/Comedy
Soundtrack as amazing.
Zach Braff as himself?
Natalie Portman as amazing also with curly hair
Peter Sarsgaard as a hot stoner.

Movie Memory:
I loved this movie in 2004 and I still love it. I used to make all my friends watch it in college. I saw it with my high school best friend too.  It's the perfect chick flick for your early 20s. Or you college years. It's what every little girl dreams of right? Some guy you meet over a weekend, you instantly fall in love with and change your entire life for one another. Uuuhg. Now I realize how improbably and silly that is, but in 2004 it made my heart all happy.  That was before I saw my other favorite Natalie Portman movie Closer- which is way way way more honest and another reason while I'll forever be screwed up- thanks Natalie! Anyways this movie is just a good sweet romantic comedy. I don't watch it very often but always enjoy it when I do.

Tyler's Rating: No-fuss A.

2005: Walk the Line

Movie Facts:
Directed by James Mangold
Rated PG-13
Genre: Musical, drama/romance
Tagline: Love is a burning thing.
Joaquin Phoenix as awesome
Reese Witherspoon as adorable and perfect.

Movie Memory:
I have a lot of memories associated with this movie. I don't know who I saw it with in the theatre, but I know who I've seen it the most with and that would be my good friend Jenn.  This was our hangover movie.  After I graduated from TLU we lived in the same apartment complex for a while and would take turns being hungover on each other's couches and this was the movie we'd put it. We'd watch most of it and nap through some of it.  But it's also a good movie.  We frequently quoted it to each other and every time I watch this movie I think of her.  Nobody plays the dulcimer anymore (yah it was an autoharp, but whatever we called it a dulcimer).  Also I remember after this movie all my blonde friends dyed their hair dar since it looked so good on Reese.

Some of our favorite lines were:
He said don't touch it! Don't think about touchin' it, don't sing about touchin' it, don't think about singin' about touchin' it!
-Am I going to hell? -No you're beautiful.
Get me out of this car with all these boys.
-Hey Jerry Lee, your mama know you're out? -She knows. She knows.
-Do you want to have one of these with me? -I don't know (proceeds to kiss him)

Tyler's Rating: A- I love this movie but there's just something.

--------------------------
That was a feat. I'm glad those movie years are behind us and we can now move on! Only 9 more movies and 10 more days. I'm taking 3 days off so that last week we'll have to do lots of watching.  Okay I'll pick it back up again when I get back from San Antonio.

Overview of the Project
My thoughts on Legend
1986-1989 Movies
1990-1993 Movies

No comments:

Post a Comment