Friday, March 27, 2015

2006 - 2010: Pan's Labyrinth, Juno, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Up in the Air, and Repo Men

We're in the home stretch! Only a few days left and still 9 more movies to go! I can do it. With the help of my friends and some binges this weekend all should be good! This week's films will be shown out of order because movies have been claimed by certain friends.

2006: Pan's Labyrinth






Documented in separate post- I'll link when I have it. Watched out of order. Wont watch till March 28th.
















2007: Juno 

Movie Facts:
Directed by Jason Reitman
Rated PG-13
Genre: Drama/Romance
Tagline: A comedy about growing up...and the bumps along the way.
Ellen Page - omg she looks so young
Michael Cera - awkward as always
Jennifer Garner- playing herself?
Jason Bateman- playing himself.
Allison Janney- perfect as stepmom.
JC Simmons- perfect as father.

Movie Thoughts:
I cannot remember if I saw this with Deirdre or my mom. Either way it was a bad choice. I remember all the tears! It's such a good movie though. I remember crying so much the first time I saw it.  Watching it now it doesn't make me cry as much, the ridiculous language Diablo Cody uses seems to shticky to me now. I feel like there are things in this movie that ring really true and things that don't.  I find Juno so dumb throughout this.  She was smart enough to con some guy into having sex with her but doesn't realize her relationship with the adoptive dad is getting inappropriate?  Also she's a terrible liar why does anyone believe her? Anyways good movie, annoying characters, all the tears.

Tyler's Rating: Just a B+

2008: Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Movie Facts:
Directed by Woody Allen
Rated PG-13 (really? hard to imagine)
Genre: Drama/Comedy (again- really?
Tagline: Life is the ultimate work of art.
Scarlett Johannson as sexy- with an ulcer...
Penelope Cruz as sexy
Javier Bardem as sexy

Movie Thoughts:
I saw this movie shortly after it came out. I don't remember loving it but I remember liking it and thinking it spoke to me for lots of reasons...at the time. Who knows how I'll feel now- let's watch!
What an interesting movie. Not completely what I remembered from it but I understand why I remembered it fondly. It's about two screwed up girls in love. Neither know what they want, they don't want what they think they want and they do want what they don't think they want. Love it.

Tyler's Rating: A-

2009: Up in the Air

Movie Facts:
Directed by Jason Reitman (repeat director!)
Rated R
Genre: Romance/Drama
Tagline: The story of a man ready to make a connection.
George Clooney - as sad and lonely
Vera Farmiga - as a cold bitch, who is also so beautiful! First time I saw her and thought she was gorgeous!
Anna Kendrick - as young and sad and naive and a really bad crier.

Movie Thoughts:
Bruce got this movie for my back a hundred years ago. I don't think he watched it with me. I can't remember if I cried, but I definitely know I found it depressing, but not nearly as depressing as I now find it. OMG. Ann Kendrick get your life together. George! What's wrong with you! You know I don't hate Vera Farmiga. I think in the past I would have, but you know I kinda understand. I think that's what depressed me when I first saw it. I understood how people could get there. But you just feel so bad for George! Of course you do. Your entire relationship was a lie and fake and just one woman's escape! How depressing! But in the end I feel like he gets what he wants and helps Anna Kendrick get what she wants but Vera hopefully doesn't. She's selfish and insensitive. So is this movie about how you need a co-pilot? Or is it about how you can only rely on yourself?

Tyler's Rating: A that makes you think.

20010: Repo Men

Movie Facts:
Directed by Miguel Sapochnik
Rated R
Genre: Thriller/Drama
Tagline: For a price, any organ in your body can be replaced. But it can also be repossessed.
Jude Law - look he grew a conscience
Forest Whitaker - crazy, jerk

Movie Thoughts:
We're in my Bruce movie era...so saw this one with Bruce. We tried to watch the movie this was based off of first the Genetic Opera one? And it was so bad I didn't finish it I don't remember if he did, but it was bad, so anything was going to be better than that.  I remember when we first saw this I really liked it. I thought it was just a good fun B movie. Not the best acting in the world unless crazy jerk is what Forest Whitaker was going for...but anyways. I remember I bought the Blu Ray of it when it came out too because I enjoyed it, but now I can't find the Blu Ray so I rented it online and maybe because I had to pay $2.99 to watch it but I just didn't like it as much this time around.  The story is still fun repossessing people's organ's when they can't pay for them- good fun for all! I just found some of the violence sooooo gratuitous. Which I'm fine with it doesn't bother me, but it wasn't even good gratuitous violence! At the end when Jude Law takes out all those people, it's sooooooo not believable! Unlikes the rest of the movie, lol. I enjoy the soundtrack and like the story/plot stuff but it was just kinda weird.  Oooh there's also an awesome John Leguizamo cameo, I remember freaking out when I saw him because I hadn't seen him in anything in forever- so redeeming value? Maybe. Anyways

Tyler's Rating: B just be. Not bad, not good, just B.


--------------------------
Okay sorry these were out of order, when I watch PL I'll link it above too.  But we're almost done! This project maybe has 3 - 4 more posts left in it!  I'm excited to start the last 5 movies!!!!

Overview of the Project
My thoughts on Legend
1986-1989 Movies
1990-1993 Movies

No comments:

Post a Comment