Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Review: Once Upon a River


Once Upon a River
Once Upon a River by Bonnie Jo Campbell

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This book was recommended to me ages ago and I finally got around to it. I'm so glad I did. It was such an interesting and different world. Along a Michigan River in the late 70s early 80s a young girl grows up with a dysfunctional family, basically no mother or father and family she can't trust. She's a little slow but can take care of herself because she can shoot and forage. She lives on the river and meets a variety of characters who help take care of her while she learns to take care of herself. It was such a very different life that I've ever experienced so it was hard to understand why some of these things were happening to her, but towards the end I was getting sad about the book ending because I enjoyed her story and all the interesting characters she met.

I listened to this on audiobook on my last drive to San Antonio and planned to save the second half for my next drive but couldn't stop so i'll need another audiobook for the next trip home. Luckily this author has another one available through the online audio library! Yay.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment