Thursday, January 10, 2013

Review: Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage


Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage
Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I don't even know where to begin with this damn book. And it's impossible to review without pulling my own failed marriage into my thoughts and opinions of it. I started reading this book back in July when my marriage was flailing horribly. I had to put it down cause it was pissing me off. This book is a historical, anthropological, sociological and biographical look at marriage. This book is what Liz Gilbert wrote after Eat, Pray, Love that tells her journey of how she got married again to her brazilian man from Bali even though she had never wanted to get married again. This book shares her journey through travel and research about the history of western marriage. That being said, she does eventually convince herself to get married again, whereas this book has continued to support my idea that marriage is dumb and unnecessary (again ask me in 3 years how I feel and I'm sure it'll be different). This book also has a great story about women in relationships, women as wives and women with the choice to be mothers or not. I found the section about motherless women to be particularly moving because I go back and forth daily about ever wanting children and again this book makes me feel like it's totally okay not to.

Overall I wont say I liked this book at all, I found it very interesting and well researched, but I could have read this book without Liz Gilbert's story just as the research she provided, because I found it all so very interesting. I originally picked up the book because I loved Eat, Pray, Love, but this was no Eat, Pray, Love.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment