Thursday, July 16, 2009

Trying to write songs

I've been really getting back into guitar for about 4 months now. I've been playing lots and getting gross calluses on my fingertips and I love it. I pretty much play guitar so I can accompany myself and sing. I'd missed singing so much since college so it's so great to be doing it again. My family hosts a Thursday Night Music Club in New Braunfels at the Faust Hotel. The first time I went I was told that the next week I needed to bring my guitar and play so ever since then I have been. And since I didn't want to suck in front of people I started practicing. Now very rarely do I go a day without at least playing for like 15 minutes.

I first started playing the guitar when I was 12- I use the super loose definition of playing- I basically learned 6 chords at 12 and those are all I ever play. In middle school I wrote two songs on guitar and my step-dad recorded them and put them on a CD with other songs to give to my mom for her birthday or mothers day maybe. Since then I have not written another song. I just play other people songs that I like and that are in my vocal range. My favorites being Lisa Loeb and Shawn Colvin- I love singing their songs.

I wish I could write my own songs though. Every week I am so inspired by the people that play there. My Uncle has written dozens of songs and they're all so good and heartfelt, Tara that 15 year old talent writes the sweetest little love songs I've ever heard and Mike has such haunting lyrics that I can't get out of my head for days. I wish I could write like that. I have lines that stick out in my head and I'd love to create a song around them but I just can't get started. I have a book full of lines I love and think could be cool songs but that's all I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment