Sunday, November 8, 2015

Review: Pretty Girls: A Novel

Pretty Girls: A Novel Pretty Girls: A Novel by Karin Slaughter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Suspenseful! I was so nervous after the first 100 pages. The rest of the book made me anxious! I was reading so fast I know I skipped over a lot of stuff. It's been a while since i was so anxious to read a book I probably skimmed over a lot of it. I read it all I did but I was reading so fast because I just had to know what happened. This was a great suspenseful mystery. Not all mysteries are suspenseful but this one was. As is well known on Goodreads I greatly dislike books that go back and forth between narrators in most cases it really pisses me off. In this case however it didn't. The story was told from the point of view of two sisters living the same time frame and interacting. It was also broken up with letters from their father. The narrators were not unreliable- thank god, I'm over that female trope- but they were very different. We didn't so much see inside their heads as much as we lived their dialogue. This was a book that the story took place in the dialogue instead of the behind the scenes things. I read fast between the dialogue- the spoken words were the important things. I do feel this book was a bit too long, there were lots of moments where things seemed to drag, I found myself screaming at the horribly stupid characters in my mind. OMG what is wrong with you, why are you doing this by yourself have someone help you! But it was still great and a good way to end my 40 books for the year. I checked this book out digitally from my library and love that. I've read a bunch of good library books this year. I'm not done reading but my challenge is over. I'm glad it ended with a good suspenseful novel like this.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment